Articles, News and Videos | Web Sites | Posters, Books and CDs
Sign-up to receive new resource alerts via e-mail
Articles, News and Videos
- Suicide Prevention for Veterans (click the link under Research)
A report describing suicide prevention activities for veterans has been issued by researchers from the Ralph H. Johnson Veterans Medical Center at the University of South Carolina. This publication also explores the gaps in four areas these activities should impact, according to the researchers: society (i.e. health status and knowledge and behaviors related to health status), research, policy, and services. This research summary is based on information in:
York, J. A., Lamis, D A., Pope, C. A, & Egede, L. E. (2013). Veteran-specific suicide prevention. Psychiatric Quarterly, 84(2), 219-238
- Migraines - New Treatments and Therapies, Pain Pathways Magazine
- "Essentials of Healthy Living" Radio Show, by Village Green Apothecary, October 28 2012 (MP3)
Topic: Pain Connection - Support for Chronic Pain Sufferers and their Families
Special guest: Gwenn Herman is a Licensed Certified Clinical Social Worker and Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
Download MP3 iTunes
- The Sleep/Pain Connection 07/07/12 Podcast, Dr. Paul Christo, Aches and Gains
More than 70 million Americans suffer from some sort of sleep disturbance. In fact, almost 70% of those suffering from pain complain of sleep problems. The relationship is reciprocal: pain often disrupts sleep, and poor sleep can worsen pain. We all need healthy sleep to revitalize us, and when pain is the thief robbing us of that treasured sleep, it’s time to seek special medical help.
Dr. William Kohler may have just the right medicine. He is the Medical Director of the Florida Sleep Institute in Spring Hill, Florida. With over 44 years of experience, he brings a great deal of insight into this quest for a good night’s sleep.
Gwenn Herman is the Executive Director of the Pain Connection, a chronic pain outreach center in Rockville, Maryland. She has a personal understanding of chronic pain. A serious automobile accident instigated a cascade of painful symptoms that have made sleep a nightly struggle. She’s made great strides, however in finding a routine that’s helped her feel rested.
- Docs In Progress filmed a documentary on Pain Connection. View it!
- Beyond Bedside Manner by Jeannie Counce, from INFUSION Magazine, Sept/Oct 2011, National Home Infusion Association.
- County Cable Montgomery (CCM) Seniors Today Show Episode #111 - Montgomery County Commission on Aging Public Policy Committee (on Legislation), Pain Connection, and Creative Fitness Zumba classes for seniors. The interview with Gwenn Herman starts at minute 11:00. View Video.
- One Woman’s Answer to Chronic Pain Management: How Therapy and Support Helped the Hurt by Fran Smith, Special to Lifescript, published May 20, 2011
- Pain Connection moves to Rockville's Nonprofit Village, Gazette.Net, October 14, 2009
- Support groups created to help chronic pain sufferers regain control, by Meghan Tierney, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, May 27, 2009
- Potomac group receives grant to battle pain, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, February 4, 2009
- Pain Connection Named Recipient of the Healthcare Initiative Foundation, Press Release December 9, 2008
The Healthcare Initiative Foundation has awarded Pain Connection a grant to increase the pool of trained mental health professionals to meet the unique psychosocial needs of chronic pain sufferers and their families in Montgomery County.
- American Pain Foundation names September pain awareness month, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, Sept. 10, 2008
- Pain sufferers get relief: Potomac woman leads efforts to raise awareness
by Erin Donaghue, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, Wednesday, July 16, 2008.
- Elusive Battle: Pain — and Skepticism — Still Plague Fibromyalgia Patients
by Carolyn Cosmos, The Washington Diplomat, May 2008.
- Pain Connection Emerges from Personal Struggle with Pain Pain Community News, Fall 2007, page 3.
- "Groups help one cope with untreatable pain" by Daniel Groner, published in the Senior Beacon, Washington, D.C. edition, July 2006.
- Stopping The Hurt by January W. Payne, The Washington Post, Tuesday, January 4, 2005.
Gwenn Herman knows chronic pain -- the regular backaches, the stiffness and freezing of her neck after her 1995 car accident, the pain that didn't respond, or responded inconsistently, to prescription and nonprescription painkillers. That's why she learned, long before last month's rash of safety alerts about three commonly used pain medications, to explore alternative treatments like meditation, guided imagery and breathing exercises.
- Greenbelt support group a salve for sufferers by Laura C. Jackson, Special to The Gazette Sept. 16, 2004
Gwenn Herman used to work full time, play racquetball and lead an active social life with her children. All that changed after a car accident.
- Chronic pain group starts in Greenbelt The Gazette, June 5, 2003
- Medical definitions of the various doctors/specialists and tests/procedures
- Amazon.com Online Bookstore Pain Connection gets a small percentage of the purchase price of anything you buy through this link.
Pain Connection does not endorse any of the above links - we are supplying them for informational purposes only.